UDOT Cottonwood Canyons Sticker Program
November 15, 2021 - February 28, 2022
The goal of the UDOT Cottonwood Canyons sticker program is to increase vehicle safety and preparedness in the Cottonwood Canyons by pre-inspecting vehicle tires for winter driving conditions in advance of drivers traveling to the canyons.
Originally the sticker program was only available to canyon residents and workers. Last year, UDOT expanded the pilot program to the public. This year UDOT is including Burt Brothers Tire & Service shops as additional tire inspection sites to make the program more accessible to those who want to participate. UDOT chose to incorporate sticker inspection locations outside of the Cottonwoods Maintenance Shed to provide opportunities for the public to get their tires inspected at times and locations that are convenient for them.
This program encourages more drivers to prepare for winter conditions in the Cottonwood Canyons and supports local businesses by providing opportunities to equip drivers with proper traction devices if drivers have tires that don’t meet the requirements of the program but want to participate.
Stickers will be distributed on a first come, first-served basis while supplies last.
Participation in the sticker program is free of charge and completely voluntary.
At this time, the sticker program only applies to the Cottonwood Canyons. Stickers are NOT REQUIRED to drive in Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons.
This is a completely free and voluntary program for participants, where UDOT will purchase the stickers and authorize local tire shops to distribute stickers to qualifying participants.
- Participating businesses are not to charge sticker program participants for the inspection of the tires as part of the sticker program.
- Tire shop employees will inspect tires and distribute stickers to those that meet the requirements of the program.
- If a vehicle is not properly equipped for winter driving and fails to meet the requirements of the sticker program, the driver can choose to purchase compliant tires/traction devices from a vendor of their choice or opt out of the program.
- Participants are not obligated to buy tires at the inspection locations; Burt Brothers is simply verifying that the tires meet the requirements of the sticker program and distributing stickers.
- Participating businesses are not to collect sticker program participant information for marketing purposes if the participant is only there for the sticker program and does not expressly give consent.
- Prior to visiting one of the participating tire shop locations, participants need to fill out the form and choose a preferred participating Burt Brothers location.
- Tire shop employees will inspect the tires, search for the participants’ email address in the form’s response spreadsheet, and document the following information: tire type, chains (yes/no), pass (yes/no), name of employee inspecting.
- If the vehicle meets the requirements of the sticker program, the driver will receive a sticker.
- Employees will place a sticker on the driver side inside of the windshield in the upper or lower driver-side corner, based on the preference of the driver.
4WD/AWD Vehicles: 3PMSF or M+S tires with a tread depth of 5/32 minimum
2WD/FWD Vehicles: 3PMSF tires on all wheels with a tread depth of 5/32 minimum or proof of chains (chains must be in vehicle at time of inspection)
* According to Utah Code 41-6a-1636, a person may not operate a vehicle if one or more of the tires in use on the vehicle has a tread depth less than 2/32 inch measured in any two adjacent tread grooves at three equally spaced intervals around the circumference of the tire.
* Due to the challenging winter driving conditions often present in the Cottonwood Canyons, the sticker program requirement is a tire tread depth minimum of 5/32.
- At this time, the sticker program only applies to the Cottonwood Canyons.
- Having a sticker does not guarantee access to the canyons, rather it verifies the vehicle’s tires meet the required equipment standards when the traction law is in effect.
- Vehicles may still be subject to inspection at the discretion of law enforcement.
- Having a sticker is not a requirement for vehicle travel in the canyons and does not allow holders to enter the canyons during closures.
- The sticker does not allow vehicles with the sticker to have priority to enter the canyons.
Participating Burt Brothers
Tire & Service Locations
2885 US-89, 84010
4712 S Highland Dr., 84117
204 E 300 S, 84111
263 E 12300 S, 84020
976 W. Shepard Lane, 84025
10918 Town Center Blvd., 84003
2730 Rasmussen Rd, 84098
2020 W Antelope Drive, 84041
13722 S Redwood Rd., 84065
9325 S 1300 E, 84094
6343 N Pace Frontage Rd., 84098
944 E 2100 S, 84106
1618 W 9000 S, 84088